The Associate Buyer is a new position we’re adding to our procurement team as iFixit continues to grow. This is an entry level position that will focus on domestic suppliers with a heavy focus in hand tools, corrugated packaging, general supplies, and apparel. You’ll be working within our procurement team and coordinating with other departments to ensure their product and supply needs are met.
Job Location is San Luis Obispo with a combination of remote and office work.
Key accountabilities that help iFixit make positive impacts:
- Use ERP system and sales reports to generate purchase orders and receive as needed.
- Create and maintain an efficient plan for material replenishment to avoid stock outs while managing economic order quantities.
- Maintain accurate information in the ERP system including cost, lead times, supplier information, etc on purchased items.
- Input order confirmations and tracking while following up with suppliers on open orders, unconfirmed orders, past due items, etc.
- Track estimated receipt dates and communicate real-time updates to stakeholders.
- Coordinate logistics and work with our logistics partners to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery.
- Obtain and review supplier quotations and make recommendations and/or take action.
- On occasion negotiate price on non-contracted items to drive cost savings.
- Coordinate with Accounts Payable to ensure timely payment of invoices and/or receipt of credits.
- Resolve discrepancies with, but not limited to, invoices and material receipts with correct item, quality, quantity, pricing, delays, etc.
- Proactively look ahead using various forecasting techniques to minimize any negative impacts to the business.
- Support internal customers by proactively communicating any supply problems which may impact business operations and taking action to expedite and monitor.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with suppliers.
- Support all other duties as assigned by the manager.
- A High School diploma or equivalent is required. A Bachelor’s or Associate degree is preferred. Any APICS or Lean training and/or certification is desirable.
- 1+ year of experience in a Buying, Purchasing, or Procurement role. Hands-on experience with procurement using a formal MRP system is preferred, with extra bonus points for experience with Microsoft Business Central.
Capabilities and Success Factors
- Proficient in GSuite (Gmail, Sheets, Docs) and MS Excel.
- Self-starter with ability to drive continuous improvement, meet timeliness and objectives.
- Ability to negotiate, influence, and win respect.
- Ability to make timely decisions and take action.
- Product knowledge preferred with hand tools, corrugated packaging, apparel, etc.
- Demonstrate professionalism in oral and written communication at all levels. Exhibit sharing of information and retaining critical documentation.
- Ability to handle higher volume of administrative work and be conscientious, detail oriented, and diligent in accomplishing duties and responsibilities.
- Must have the ability to efficiently generate spreadsheet information and summarize data into readable and actionable reports.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- SQL query writing is a plus.
- Must be able to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Must be able to work autonomously as well as part of a team.
iFixit is an awesome place to work. Here are some of our perks:
- A work laptop, and any software you need.
- 100% employer-paid health insurance.
- 401k plan with 4% employer match.
- Profit sharing after one year of employment.
- Flexible vacation time + paid holidays.
- Dependent Care FSA.
- Generous stipends towards repair & wellness.
- $400 towards a bike or alternative method of transportation.
- A sweet pair of headphones to get your head in the game.
- Employee discounts on parts and tools.
- Charitable contribution matching! We'll 100% match your tax deductible.
When you go to a website like iFixit and scroll through the guides, it's easy to forget that there are tons of real people keeping all those bits and bytes running smoothly. But there are literally dozens of us! We're a diverse team, split between two continents—but we're united by a love of tinkering and repair.
iFixit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Because we are trying to teach every one to fix every thing, we need a team as diverse as our online community. We believe that it takes people of all backgrounds to help us fix the world. Therefore, iFixit does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status asa protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any of the other important characteristics that make us unique and valuable.
iFixit is committed to creating a diverse team—not only in who we hire—but through creating a supportive environment for all of our team members based on mutual respect and inclusivity.
To apply: Send us a PDF of your resume, as well as a PDF cover letter explaining two things: why you're a badass, and why you're the ideal candidate for the job. We look forward to hearing from you!