iFixit is hiring a full-time writer for our outreach and activism team. Our staff is small, but we’re the vanguard of a global community that is redefining people’s relationship with their stuff. We teach normal people how to fix the things they own—from the simple (like busted seams) to the complicated (like smart watches). We do it because we believe that repair empowers people to take control of their hardware, teaches them what’s going on inside their gadgets, and encourages them to keep things in use and out of the landfill.
The ideal candidate will have passion for effecting change in the world and protecting our right to repair.
iFixit is the largest online repair resource, teaching millions of people every month how to believe in themselves and repair things they didn’t know they could. Our step-by-step repair manuals and troubleshooting forums have set the gold-standard for online repair documentation. We also make the best darn precision repair tools in the world. Our resources, tools, and fix kits have helped people in every country in the world repair their own devices.
iFixit is an opinionated company. Our Activist / Writer works with the Outreach team to communicate our mission, promote our products, and explain our philosophy to the world.
- Develop energetic and innovative education and activism campaigns that engage our membership and the general public.
- Learn quickly and communicate complex technical and legal issues to mainstream audiences in a clear, compelling, and concise voice that is still fully accurate.
- Write compelling news articles and speak directly to the press.
- Maintain and develop iFixit’s brand voice. Ensure that all public communication is in line with our voice and reflects our perspective.
- Speak publically on behalf of iFixit at conferences, panels, and at media events about issues related to technology and right to repair.
- Work with our CEO and members of the Outreach Team to research, conduct interviews, write, and edit articles for both iFixit and for outside publications—like Wired, The Atlantic, Harvard Business Review, and others.
- Collaborate with our Director of Outreach, Social Media Manager, Design Team, and Video Team to develop content and campaigns that appeal to iFixit’s global community of fixers, tinkerers, and tech heads.
- Work to promote the growing right to repair movement by providing editorial aid, partnership opportunities, and campaign ideas to fellow repair advocates.
Our ideal candidate is an accomplished writer who enjoys chasing ideas down rabbit holes, equally loves and questions the brave new world of tech, and thrives within a creative team setting.
As the ideal candidate, you should…
- Have at least two years of professional experience as a writer. You don’t have to come from a tech background, but it helps!
- Enjoy tinkering and fixing! You probably have a toolbox at home or in your car, and while you love having the right tool for the job, you've made-do on more than one occasion.
- Follow tech news, keep up with all the new consumer electronics, and know the top manufacturers. We’re looking for someone who has a lot of opinions about tech—and isn’t afraid to call out the industry when it needs to do better. (We’re looking at you, Juicero.)
- Be open to giving and receiving a lot of constructive feedback. We write collaboratively, so we need someone who works (and writes!) well with others. If you’re territorial about your work, you’re probably gonna get really annoyed with us really quickly.
- Have experience conducting interviews and writing long-form profiles. It takes a lot of storytelling for people to connect to a challenging concept. And when you write about technology, repair, and the environment—everything is a challenging concept.
- Have a working knowledge of copyright law and how to attribute source material on the web.
- Love the em-dash! An ideal candidate also has impeccable grammar. But knows when it’s okay to break the rules.
- Have the ability to balance several projects at once, adhere to deadlines, keep yourself on track, and work in a fast-paced environment.
Bonus points if you…
- Know your way around a camera and photo-editing software.
- Dabble in graphic design.
- Have experience organizing online activism.
- Have experience designing email campaigns and managing email lists.
- Have nerves of steel. Or just pretend to. (That’s what we do.)
This position is available immediately at our downtown San Luis Obispo office. Remote opportunities are not available for this position. Tech industry experience is not necessary, neither is any specific degree. We're currently only looking for full-time applicants for this position.
iFixit is an awesome place to work. Here are some of our perks:
- Macbook Pro or equivalent, and any software you need
- 100% employer-paid health insurance
- 401k plan with 4% employer match
- Profit sharing after a year of employment
- Flexible vacation time
- Free family-style lunches twice a week
- Free fitness classes twice a week
- A bike if you want to bike to work
- A sweet pair of headphones to drown out the haters
- Employee discounts
- Company-sponsored BBQs, hangouts, and summits
- Charitable contribution matching! We'll 100% match your tax deductible contributions to charity.
- Did we mention you get to work in one of the happiest places in the world? Oprah said it, so you know it’s true. Our office is located downtown within walking distance to everything!
When you go to a website like iFixit and scroll through the guides, it’s easy to forget that there are tons of real people keeping all those bits and bytes running smoothly. But there are literally dozens of us. We’re an incredibly diverse team, split between two continents—but we’re united by a love of tinkering and repair. Read more.
iFixit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Because we are trying to teach every one to fix every thing, we need a team as diverse as our online community. We believe that it takes people of all backgrounds to help us fix the world. Therefore, iFixit does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any of the other important characteristics that make us unique and valuable.
iFixit is committed to creating a diverse team—not only in who we hire—but through creating a supportive environment for all of our team members based on mutual respect and inclusivity.
To apply: Send us a PDF of your resume, your best published writing sample or three, and a PDF cover letter explaining why you’re the best person for this position. Spend at least one paragraph of your cover letter explaining why the writing sample you’ve included is important to you.