We're looking for a talented and creative person to help iFixit deliver excellent repair experiences. As a product design engineer, you'll be working alongside other engineers to ideate and create new repair products and procedures
- Provide engineering bandwidth to the iFixit NPI process
- Understand the needs of the consumer electronics repair industry and design tools and parts to help individuals accomplish those repairs
- Generate design options, recognize design challenges, and discern and execute on appropriate solutions
- Carry a product design through conceptual and detail design and on through manufacturing and launch
- Support product life cycles, managing existing product issues and improvements
- Participate in design quality exercises, and collaborate with the quality and manufacturing department through the design process
- Generate supporting documentation for the design process, such as design proposals, memos, and presentations, as well as RFQ and feature summaries
Before applying you should possess:
- A technical degree related to consumer product design, or convincing related experience
- 2-5 years experience in a related field.
- Computer Aided Engineering Skills, specifically 3D design (Inventor, Solidworks, or something similar)
- Excellent spreadsheet skills
Candidates get bonus points for the following:
- Engineering Design Communication skills: 2D drawings, RFQ Packages, design Documents (proposals, memos, presentations)
- Knowledge of DFM and DFA methods and constraints. Ability to design for a variety of materials and processes.
- Experience with product lifecycles, BOM management, revisions
- Skills with MySQL and databases
- Hands-on experience with tools and repair
Some key personality traits that we'd like to see:
- Self-motivation and diligent work ethic
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Anticipation of problems and solving them before they become a reality
- Passionate about repair
- Ability to learn new things very quickly
- Ability to work well with others, accept feedback, and change directions if needed
This position is fully remote and open to anyone currently legally able to work in the United States. As our home office is located in San Luis Obispo, California, there may be meetings and work scheduling requirements based on Pacific Standard Time. As COVID restrictions allow it, this position will have the option (but not requirement) of working in our San Luis Obispo office full-time, or as a hybrid of in-office and remote hours.
iFixit is a great place to work, here are some of our perks:
- 401k plan with 4% employer match.
- Profit sharing after one year of employment.
- 100% employer-paid health insurance.
- Dependent Care FSA.
- Flexible vacation time, paid holidays, and volunteer time off.
- Generous stipends towards repair & wellness.
- $400 towards a bike or alternative method of transportation.
- $100 towards a pair of headphones.
- Employee discounts on parts and tools.
- Charitable contribution matching: we'll 100% match your tax deductible donations.
When you go to a website like iFixit and scroll through the guides, it's easy to forget that there are tons of real people keeping all those bits and bytes running smoothly. But there are literally dozens of us! We're a diverse team, split between two continents, but we're united by a love of tinkering and repair.
iFixit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Because we are trying to teach everyone to fix every thing, we need a team as diverse as our online community. We believe that it takes people of all backgrounds to help us fix the world. Therefore, iFixit does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any of the other important characteristics that make us unique and valuable.
iFixit is committed to creating a diverse team—not only in who we hire—but through creating a supportive environment for all of our team members based on mutual respect and inclusivity.
Upload a .pdf of your resume and a short cover letter. Be sure to tell us about your Product Design experience. If you can share examples of a product you've designed or helped design, all the better.