iFixit is hiring a full-time technology journalist to join our team. Our staff is small, but we’re the vanguard of a global community that is redefining people’s relationship with their stuff. We teach normal people how to fix the things they own—from the simple (like busted seams) to the complicated (like smartwatches). We do it because we believe that repair empowers people to take control of their hardware, teaches them what’s going on inside their gadgets, and encourages them to keep things in use and out of the landfill.
We’re looking for an opinionated journalist to investigate tech's effects on the environment, politics, and our culture. Our ideal candidate is an accomplished writer who enjoys chasing ideas down rabbit holes, equally loves and questions the brave new world of tech, and thrives within a creative team setting.
Our news team works closely with our teardown engineering team to investigate the latest gadgets, interpret the design trends, and use that news to tell a compelling story about where tech is going.
- Learn quickly and communicate complex technical and legal issues to mainstream audiences in a clear, compelling, and concise voice that is still fully accurate.
- Write compelling news articles weekly and speak directly to the press.
- Maintain and develop iFixit’s brand voice. Ensure that all public communication is in line with our voice and reflects our perspective.
- Speak publicly on behalf of iFixit at conferences, panels, and at media events about issues related to technology and right to repair.
- Work with our CEO and members of our engineering team to research, conduct interviews, write, and edit articles for both iFixit and for outside publications—like Wired, The Atlantic, Harvard Business Review, and others.
- Collaborate with our Director of Outreach, Social Media Manager, Design, and Video Team to develop articles that challenge and intrigue iFixit’s global community of fixers, tinkerers, and tech heads.
As the ideal candidate, you should…
- Have at least two years of professional experience as a journalist. You don’t have to come from a tech background, but it helps!
- Enjoy tinkering and fixing! You probably have a toolbox at home or in your car, and while you love having the right tool for the job, you've made-do on more than one occasion.
- Follow tech news, keep up with all the new consumer electronics, and know a thing or two about the top electronics manufacturers. We’re looking for someone who has a lot of opinions about tech—and isn’t afraid to call out the industry when it needs to do better. (We’re looking at you, Juicero.)
- Be open to giving and receiving a lot of constructive feedback. We write collaboratively, so we need someone who works (and writes!) well with others. If you’re territorial about your work, you’re probably gonna get really annoyed with us really quickly.
- Have experience conducting interviews and writing long-form profiles. It takes a lot of storytelling for people to connect to a challenging concept. And when you write about technology, repair, and the environment—everything is a challenging concept.
- Have a working knowledge of copyright law and how to attribute source material on the web.
- Love the em-dash! An ideal candidate also has impeccable grammar. But knows when it’s okay to break the rules.
- Have the ability to balance several projects at once, adhere to deadlines, keep yourself on track, and work in a fast-paced environment.
Bonus points if you…
- Know your way around a camera and photo-editing software.
- Have experience organizing online activism.
- Have nerves of steel. Or just pretend to. (That’s what we do.)
This position is available immediately at our downtown San Luis Obispo office. We will consider remote opportunities for the right person. Tech industry experience is not necessary, neither is any specific degree. We're currently only looking for full-time applicants for this position.
iFixit is an awesome place to work. Here are some of our perks:
- Macbook Pro or equivalent, and any software you need
- 100% employer-paid health insurance
- 401k plan with 4% employer match
- Profit sharing after a year of employment
- Flexible vacation time
- Free family-style lunches twice a week
- Employer-run fitness and wellness program
- A bike if you want to bike to work
- A sweet pair of headphones to get your head in the game
- Employee discounts on parts and tools
- Company-sponsored BBQs, hangouts, and summits
- Charitable contribution matching! We'll 100% match your tax deductible contributions to charity.
- Did we mention you get to work in one of the happiest places in the world? Oprah said it, so you know it’s true. Our office is located downtown within walking distance to everything!
When you go to a website like iFixit and scroll through the guides, it’s easy to forget that there are tons of real people keeping all those bits and bytes running smoothly. But there are literally dozens of us. We’re an incredibly diverse team, split between two continents—but we’re united by a love of tinkering and repair. Read more.
iFixit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Because we are trying to teach every one to fix every thing, we need a team as diverse as our online community. We believe that it takes people of all backgrounds to help us fix the world. Therefore, iFixit does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any of the other important characteristics that make us unique and valuable.
iFixit is committed to creating a diverse team—not only in who we hire—but through creating a supportive environment for all of our team members based on mutual respect and inclusivity.
Send us a PDF of your resume, your best published writing sample (or three), and a PDF cover letter explaining why you’re the best person for this position. Spend at least one paragraph of your cover letter explaining why the writing sample you’ve included is important to you.