iFixit is seeking a highly motivated and action-oriented talented User Interface Designer to design a world-class repair experience that is intuitive and refined. We're designing a repair experience that is intuitive and refined. We want to make it so easy to fix things that everyone will want to.
In this integral role, you’ll collaborate with our team of engineers, community managers, and tinkerers throughout the design process—from figuring out what to build to crafting mockups and building out our software interface. This role will report to the Design Team Lead and will work closely with a diverse range of stakeholders - from C-level executives to Engineering Interns to implement their designs.
With a passion for user experience and obsession with the details, this role will be focused on developing our software UI and creating a world-class user experience for our global user base.
What you’ll do:
- Deliver innovative, refined, and on-target UI designs that can range from wireframes to pixel perfect
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members, such as UX architects, developers, copywriters, and business stakeholders, to develop intuitive designs to complement our existing UI framework.
- Serve as a brand steward, ensuring visual consistency by supporting the development of Fixit's visual Design Library.
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices, and standards.
- Collaborate with product leaders to define and implement innovative solutions
- Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to development
- Conceptualize ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to our existing code base; validate with user research
- Mentor junior creative staff
We’re excited about you if you have:
- A minimum of 4+ years of experience doing actual, real work (startups, agencies, etc.)
- In-depth skills with design software, including but not limited to Adobe CC, Google Suite, Figma or Sketch.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to ensure a crystal-clear understanding of project scope and status
- Have high attention to detail, a keen eye for graphic design, UX and knowledge of UI best practices.
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Conceptual knowledge of HTML and CSS, and other front-end technologies
- Organized, able to think beyond what is asked for, and able to multi-task projects and competing priorities in a fast-paced, often evolving environment (even if it’s always sunny outside).
- Ability to partner well with a broad range of people and able to look at issues from other people’s point of view.
Who You Are
- An upbeat person a progressive thinker, and an all-around team player with a highly effective communication style
- Keen knowledge of best practices and user-centered design approaches
- Ready and willing to go above and beyond for your work and your team
- Gets happy and excited that no two days are the same
- High energy, strong work ethic, can-do attitude, and a passion for our mission and repairability
- A sense of humor - you don’t have to be funny, just don't be unfunny
You’ll love working here because:
- The people - you will be surrounded by some of the most creative, smart, funny, talented leaders and teams (people you can be proud to work with).
- Excellent Benefits - 100% employer-paid health insurance, a generous Paid Family Leave policy, 401k plan with employer match, Profit sharing, Charitable contribution matching and more - yes, much more!
- The perks - we have regular barbecues, enjoy catered meals together a couple times a week (our in-house chef is dynamite) and free fitness classes.
- The experience - we help thousands of people fix their things on a daily basis. Really.
- The impact - you’ll reach over 10 million fixers worldwide (how’s that for impact?).
How to apply
Package up your portfolio, links to things you’ve designed and/or coded, and tell us why you’d be perfect for the position. Apply for the position by clicking the big shiny button below. Be sure to include a
When you go to a website like iFixit and scroll through the guides, it's easy to forget that there are tons of real people keeping all those bits and bytes running smoothly. But there are literally dozens of us! We're a diverse team, split between two continents--but we're united by a love of tinkering and repair.
iFixit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Because we are trying to teach every one to fix every thing, we need a team as diverse as our online community. We believe that it takes people of all backgrounds to help us fix the world. Therefore, iFixit does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any of the other important characteristics that make us unique and valuable.
iFixit is committed to creating a diverse team--not only in who we hire--but through creating a supportive environment for all of our team members based on mutual respect and inclusivity.